Asteroid Zoo Talk

Marking artifacts

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

Is it absolutely necessary to mark artifacts ? Or can we just skip them? I fail to see what the added value is of marked artifacts.😄

Any clarification much appreciated ! 😄

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05

I was just about to ask the same question!

Posted

Great minds etc ! ;D

Posted

• interplanetary by interplanetary scientist

We'll use marked artifacts as a training corpus for machine learning. Mark 'em if you can, but then again, its more important to review for asteroids!

Posted

Ah, now I understand ! I've been a zooite right from the start, so Machine/computer learning is something I can relate to ! I will , very dilligently tag the artefacts I see ! 😄

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 in response to interplanetary's comment.

Thanks for the answer 😃

Some of the images have so many artifacts, it is incredibly time consuming marking them all. I don't mind marking the larger ones, but it would be nice to know the threshold at which we can stop marking them 😃

Posted

• scibuff by scibuff

Well, I'd say that there is a little point in marking the obvious artifacts - i.e. those moving erratically around because if they don't exhibit (at least somewhat) linear motion, there's no chance any decent software would pick them as false positives.

Posted

• Feena by Feena

I've only started here tonight but I'm so bad at it I'm happy to see obvious artifacts 😃 Is it possible to look at an image collection again once I've finished with it? I've missed two known asteroids so far and it would be helpful to be able to have a better look again to see what I missed.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 in response to scibuff's comment.

Are you part of the Science Team?

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 in response to Feena's comment.

Hi Feena,

You can look at the images you have classified, by going to your profile on the classification site. You will not be able to classify them again, but you can certainly look at them 😃

Posted

• DonnaHolcombe by DonnaHolcombe in response to Capella05's comment.

Thanks from me, also.

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 in response to windsister's comment.

No worries - I just know my way around the zooniverse 😃

Posted

• Feena by Feena

Thanks very much, that'll be helpful for me (I hope!)

Posted

• DSvemir by DSvemir

Should we mark artifacts on all four frames or is it enough just to mark them on the first one ?

Posted

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience

Generally I just mark an artifact in the 1st frame, and if it stays in the same location for the rest of the 4 frames, then I don't mark it.

Posted