Asteroid Zoo Talk

"Attention Administrator" Possible unknown asteroid discovered!

• rhensel69 by rhensel69

Looks like I may have discovered an unknown asteroid. The difference between this one compared to all the others I've came across, it did not state it's an already known of asteroid. If this is in fact true, I'm very excited, and look forward to getting credit for my find.

Posted

• scibuff by scibuff

Could you post a link to the image set so that we can double check.

Posted

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience in response to rhensel69's comment.

Note that several (2-10) others will be getting credit too, and that officially the credit goes to the Catalina Sky Survey as a whole.

Posted

• rhensel69 by rhensel69

I do sir, and thank you for getting back to me.

Posted

• rhensel69 by rhensel69

Here's the link for the asteroid I found guys.

http://talk.asteroidzoo.org/#/subjects/AAZ0000brx

Posted

• scibuff by scibuff

Hmmm, this is far too bright not to have been seen before. Maybe the known asteroid service errored out or got this wrong.

Alternatively, it may not be numbered but could have only a provisional designation (e.g. 2013 XY10) - I have not seen any of those in the known message so I wonder if those are included. Or even it might have been observed only once or twice and have only Vaisala orbit so it wouldn't be in the MPCOrb database yet.

Posted

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience

Nothing says that. I've seen plenty of ~16/17th magnitude asteroids that nobody's seen before on galaxy zoo.

Posted

• rhensel69 by rhensel69

Yeah, because normally it states known asteroid but this one did not.

Posted

• rhensel69 by rhensel69

Either way it's an exciting find 😃

Posted

• meegja by meegja

Had a few unknowns in new sets too and are indeed exiting 😃 But there is always the possibility that it is not an asteroid but some other object like a comet too far away to have a tail.

Posted

• planetaryscience by planetaryscience

At this point, the definition of asteroid and comet are nearly synonymous, as in many cases supposed asteroids suddenly start outgassing, sometimes randomly in their orbit, and in other cases comets have burned away all their ice and become asteroids. In other words, the textbook definition of 'comet' and 'asteroid' no longer holds the same as it did before.

Posted

• Meanjean4321 by Meanjean4321

I found one that was pretty obvious and they said i was the first to find it. will i get credit or will someone else.

Posted

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

According to older posts like this one, the credit will be shared among those that identified it here at zooniverse and those that actually took these pictures originally. This is quite similar to what was done in other zooniverse projects that I have been involved in such as Planethunters.

http://talk.asteroidzoo.org/#/boards/BAZ0000001/discussions/DAZ000000h

Posted

• Meanjean4321 by Meanjean4321

so other people get credit even tho i am the first to find it?

Posted

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

Yes, and there are several great benefits of having the system set up this way:

First, because this is a community project, it is going to be the combination of several users providing identification locations that match close enough in order to identify a set as having a potential asteroid. Thus the work of the team matters when it comes to identification, so all should receive credit for their contributions.

Second, each classification is blind, with no reference to what others have marked, so each submission ends up identifying asteroids on their own. Shared credit give acknowledgement to this method work.

Third, this eliminates a rush to be the first one to see an image and keeps the focus on what is important - identifying asteroid candidates. New users showing up at this project today can feel that their contributions are just as important as those that happened to see the same set before they did.

Posted