Asteroid Zoo Talk

Feedback from Asteroid Zoo

• jfn333 by jfn333

Hi,
    Just wondering... if you mark an image set as having an asteroid and it's not identified as a currently known object then do you get feedback from Asteroid Zoo once it has been checked and confirmed? They only seem to say that they'll be checked out but not that they'll be getting in touch to let you know.
    Thanks,
    J

Posted

• Morfeo by Morfeo in response to jfn333's comment.

I was wondering the same thing.
    I guess it takes time to answer all the asteroids marked as unknown, and some of them are so large that they sure are known but the software has failed to recognize.
    would be great if something new is found by one of us
    I have about 5 unknown
    But how many of them are really unknown?.

Posted

• jfn333 by jfn333

Yeah, agreed on that Morfeo. I don't think it's a big ask to be contacted if you've found something, though. Part of the intrigue of searching is being able to find out if what you have found is indeed an asteroid. Otherwise, for me at least, it may as well just be a pointless online game that would get old very quickly.

Posted

• Dr.Asteroid by Dr.Asteroid scientist, admin

Yes - we're working out how to generate the correct information for the minor planet center. Clearly, we don't want to send everything that got clicked on once - we need a few people to agree that there's something there. (that would be a LOT of submissions and not very kind to the minor planet center).

However - this is progress and we will let you know when we submit and what the response is.

Posted

• Morfeo by Morfeo in response to Dr.Asteroid's comment.

I think a good idea to fix it can be a counter marked unknown asteroids. (I think that is the main objective of the program.) Something like that: Has currently scoret 3 unknown Asteroids! and of course someone who can certificate validity or simply deny that it is an asteroid (ej: with states) Orange: pending revision Green: unknown asteroid confirmed. Red: is not an asteroid and is deducted from the counter In addition to this you can classify more expert users.

Posted