Asteroid Zoo Talk

A rotating artifact?

• Ancalagon by Ancalagon

Hello all! New to the board here. I have a help question: I tentatively classified the object at about (0.3, 0.25) in the frame (small, close to a brighter star) as an asteroid. The 4 images suggested some sort of rotation. There is no linear movement visible however, so asteroid or anything nearby is highly unlikely. But it also seemed not a clear case of image noise to me, and the image quality in the frames is good otherwise apart from some artifacts (dark spots). So I did not know what to do with it. If there was a classification 'Unclear' possible, I would have used that. As I said there were other artifacts in the pictures, but I did not classify those.

Posted

• Cpt._Pete by Cpt._Pete

Forgive my ignorance , but what does those co-ords refere too. all I see in the image is the blinking star upper middle due to an artifact landing on it but I doubt you mean that

Posted

• Ancalagon by Ancalagon

Hello Pete!

Well, the coordinates where a bit improvised and not very precise, I take the image as a square with unit length, then the center would be at (0.5,0.5). I think I see the blinking star that you refer to as well, it was also unclear to me what could cause the blinking but there also appears some noise there (black pixels). Yes, that could be the artifact landing on it I suppose! But for the rest it is much like the other object, maybe just an ordinary star, that is a bit more to the left and below. Here is an detail referenced object

Posted