Asteroid Zoo Talk

Video tutorial for those who need a bit of (beginners) help

• meegja by meegja

For those interested, I made a tutorial video. See http://youtu.be/qtQ7w-d9BhU

It's 38 minutes long and it covers most of the basics. It has a click-able chapter jumplist, best viewed in HD.

Think it's useful for beginners but maybe more advanced users can benefit too. It mostly handles the use of it and different kind of artifacts. And of course the spotting of asteroids πŸ˜ƒ

First time I ever made a tutorial like this so don't expect a teacher-like tutorial ... and yes, I seem to say "Ehhhm ..." a lot πŸ˜‰

And no, my English is not that good, my native tongue is Dutch, so ...

Posted

• Dr.Asteroid by Dr.Asteroid scientist, admin

Thank you for this video!

Posted

• Almatheo by Almatheo

It's a great video but i still have the same problem, I've posted twice with no response from anyone. In my case I get a blank field, just completely black, and then when I click on the colour cycle button I can see the stars etc. OK so far, but then I see something of interest and I click on β€˜artifact’. It then says to click in the field of view, so I click in the field of view but it goes black again! But the cursor hasn't moved so I click and it leaves a mark, but I've given up, it shouldn't be this hard. I can't be the only one with this problem. I also can't get the frames to play on some subjects. It's not a wifi problem, i use this at home for all sorts of applications and don't have any problems with any video etc. i'm on a Mac using Mac OS X version 10.6.8 with Safari. Anyone out there?

Posted

• Almatheo by Almatheo

Meegja, it's a superbly useful video and your English is fine! Communicates very well.

Posted

• meegja by meegja in response to Almatheo's comment.

Thanks, good to hear πŸ˜ƒ

About your problem: it could be a Java problem? Check if you have the latest version for Mac and update when needed?

Posted

• dudrea by dudrea

Good job ! I believe to have some experience, but I discover some very usefu tricks... Especially the fast move with mouse
    I was using keyboard, but mouse is geat !
    I also will use colur view more often ...

Thanks

Posted

• Del_Congdon by Del_Congdon in response to Almatheo's comment.

I don't know about Mac Safari, but in Firefox (on a linux PC) I get that blank images problem if HTTPS is enforced via an add-on (HTTPS Everywhere) - if I disable that add-on the site works perfectly.

Posted

• meegja by meegja in response to dudrea's comment.

Your welcome, glad it helps πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• meegja by meegja in response to raedwulf's comment.

Indeed. I tried https and got the same: blank images. I don't know how Safari works but maybe it uses https by default?

Posted

• calin_uio by calin_uio

@meegja thank you for the excellent video!

In terms of method the video somehow almost skips the web interface all-together, when playing with the mouse through the images (instead of the play button). I was wondering if it isn't possible to somehow configure the speed of the "PLAY" button, so that the website interface can still be used (and play can be started by pressing "SPACE"). This way the excellent method discovered by you here (scrolling extremely fast with the mouse) would become accessible to newbies and could be used by regular users as well.

Posted

• meegja by meegja in response to uioreanu's comment.

Thank you πŸ˜ƒ

About the Play button: I did mail them the suggestion to give the Play button a 2 speed option: 1 like it is (slow) and 1 fast.

Also The Play would be better if it would not jump from 4 to 1. So instead of 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 do a 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4. The play is bit more fluid then but also any movement would be easier to spot because it moves for- and backwards then.

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

Excellent meegja and your English is just fine!! I'm new here and it answered questions the official tutorial did not answer. I need to limit my time on AZ as the visual acuity needed is a bit much for me. Thank you again.

Posted