Asteroid Zoo Talk

Known /unknown / NEO how do you know that

• dudrea by dudrea

Sometime I read in the comment about Known (unknow) asteroid even NEO...
    May be I missed something but where is these information from ? How do you know that ? Is there a catalog, related to the view we are working on, somewhere ?
    Thanks for help

Posted

• PaulMetcalfe by PaulMetcalfe

If a known asteroid is on your set of images it will be shown with a green circle when you finish classifying that set. I can only assume that those reporting NEO are guessing.

Posted

• dudrea by dudrea

Thank's I was suppsosing the same, but was no certain

Posted

• WhiteAntelope by WhiteAntelope

I've had the green circle showing me I missed a known asteroid and I think it would be good to be able to return to the set of images to see what I've missed. It might help me not miss another one. Is there any way of doing this?

Posted

• Emili_Sancha by Emili_Sancha in response to dudrea's comment.

When you click "Done" a new window "Summary" appears. There, if you have spotted a known asteroid or missed it appear an ID for that asteroid.

There are two ID for each asteroid. One into parenthesis is a sequential number (designed by MPC), and other by year + code of the discovery.

If no number in it therefore is an unkown asteroid. Only determining the type of orbit of it we can say it is a NEO or Main Belt Asteroid.

Here you can find the first 400000 first known asteroids... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minor_planets

Posted

• Del_Congdon by Del_Congdon in response to WhiteAntelope's comment.

You can click the 'Discuss' link on the summary page and you will be taken to the 'Discuss' page for that image —where you can review the image set.

If you want to review previous image sets that you've worked on, click on the 'Profile' link whenever you are on the 'Classify' page (right-click and open new tab if you don't want to leave the 'Classify' page), to be presented with all the images that you have recently worked on. If you click on any of those images it will also take you to the 'Discuss' page for that image.

Posted