Asteroid Zoo Talk

Progress Suggestion: Idea from Notes From Nature Project

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

Realized there was a similarity between this project and and that project. Both have large sets of data and had an issue with how to release more data and keep track of progress. It was mentioned in the last update (7/21/2014) that we had marked 30k sets, and this got me thinking. In Notes from Nature, for example, if you look in the Herbarium you will see:

PROGRESS
    Total Images: 52,552
    Active Images: 18,476
    Complete Images: 34,076
    182,334 / 210,208 transcriptions needed.
    87%

Because both projects know that a image (or set in this case) needs a certain number of submissions, there is this idea of Active, Complete and Transactions needed, allowing there to be a sense of how much work is left to be done on a certain collection of sets.

There were some growing pains too, where more images were added and there was a bit of a 'morale' loss as the percentage done suddenly dropped, so feedback showed that it would be better to have finite number of sets in a collection, complete them, then move on to another collections. Snapshot Serengeti seemed to solve this by having seasons of images released.

Just wanted to throw this idea out here, since I could see a similar counting method being a useful measurement if it was possible to track and display.

Posted

• peterbees by peterbees

I'd support the progress report idea, and also the idea of specific collections of image sets released at intervals, with all sets having a specific number of views. Don't know about the loss of morale when a new collection appears though - it seems to me that the appearance of new images would be a motivating factor.

In that regard I've noticed a gradual change in the nature of the image sets. Less bad sets, but also less asteroid hits (at least by me). And less 'You've seen an object we already know about..' or 'you've missed...'
    Please, please tell us that you are not removing data sets once an object is spotted by several participants, leaving the dregs to be sifted through...
    Nothing is more demotivating than going through a hundred sets without a sighting! Even if I know that something has been seen and reseen a thousand times, it still give me a thrill to spot it myself. Leave them there, even sprinkle a few juicy examples through the data for us to enjoy!

Posted