Asteroid Zoo Talk

Lost one data set; hasn't repeated

• mboschmd by mboschmd

Lost one set of images at the beginning of a session; hasn't repeated itself, so I'm assuming it has resolved and will consider the issue closed (unless, of course, it happens again).

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

Can anyone tell me if it makes sense in post Thread dozens of cases of Bad-set, Misagnlied, Artifact, Bad image etc. ?
    I do not see the 'utility, is already boring find hundreds ...

Posted

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

Couple reasons for posting hashtags in talk even when they are known issue. First of all, it lets users who are just starting know the names and identifications of commonly occurring things in the sets, as well as let them know that they are seeing the same thing as others identifying data in these sets.

Second, it allows for the scientists that use this data to create quick collections of common sets for different needs. For example, knowing that there are currently bad sets in the initial creation of sets is one thing, but a few examples may not be enought to fix this. Without a significant cross-section of identifiable bad sets (such as a collection created by finding all sets with a certain hashtag), they might develop a solution to remove those sets from rotation base on a limited number of examples, only to discover that there is a larger set they missed that also needs removing.

As far as lost images sets, I've not seen that. I believe the application just displays a set that you have not done that is still in rotation. If you do not submit a result and leave and come back, it will show a new image set. I'm guessing that there is some code that will allow the one you didn't submit to wait for your submission (which is not going to show up) for a period of time, then be released for others to evaluate.

Posted

• mboschmd by mboschmd in response to CTidwell3's comment.

Maybe I should clarify. This may be a subset situation that only happens when there are known asteroids in the image.

Previous data loss occurred when one hit Talk (after Finished) but before hitting Next Subject. That problem was fixed such that the data was stored/completed when Finished is marked, and Favorited when you marked Favourite.

I hadn't seen an image with known asteroids in weeks. My first image was one with three very obvious, larger asteroids with large movements. All three were marked, and the set was Favorited, then marked Finished: then the Congratulations, You've found a known asteroid, now go out and find an unknown, etc. popped up. All 3 had the green circles around them. At this point, the data should have been recorded, and the image set should have been in my Favourites collection.

I then marked Talk so I could collect the set in Known Asteroids, and the expected Talk screen appeared, but was blank, because the URL did not have the AZ number. The headings were present, but the body of the screen empty.

Instead of: http://talk.asteroidzoo.org/#/subjects/AAZ0000m2q (for example) the URL said http://talk.asteroidzoo.org/#/subjects/ , and without that AZ number in the URL, refreshing the image did nothing, of course.

That's what I mean by Lost Data: everything was done as you would normally do, but it never shows up in your Profile or Favourites folder.

Posted

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

That is a strange one that I haven't seen before. Closest thing I have ever had to that was in PlanetHunters where I remember some images not linking correctly to a talk page. The fact that it is not in your favorites or profile is even more puzzling.

Posted