Asteroid Zoo Talk

Count known asteroids.

• nicro46 by nicro46

There is one thing I can not understand and ask you please help colleagues Zooties.
    I have also taken note of the asteroids already known, marked with green ring, de me so far found and taken to Talk, out of a total of nearly 12,000 sets of images. Only in 6 cases, other colleagues had already reported the asteroid, while in 54 other cases the asteroids were never reported. Seems excessive ratio 1/9, whereas I think all marker asteroids found, although already known. If this ratio would indicate that it was valid
    statistically to find a second time my 54 colleagues he would find other asteroids
    500? Does anyone have any statistical own and I can give an opinion? Thank you all.

Posted

• grums by grums

Hi Nicro46. I have not kept any statistics and I have not been doing this as long as you so only done about 1500 sets. It took me a few hundred sets to work out the tools! As a rough guess I would say that about 1 in 100 sets has a known (green circled) asteroid and I found probably about 80% of them. Some were impossible to find as were not at all visible because of badset or starbleed but, as I understand it, these green circles are put on the sets by computer calculations based on their known orbits and may not be visible on the pictures taken. I missed a few others because of incompetance 😃. Some are big and obvious though. I am not sure whether I was the first to see them on any of them though. Most had other comments so had been presented to others and seen or, at least, commented on; you can't tell whether someone has previously seen these, spotted the asteroids and not commented or, alternatively, whether someone has not spotted the asteroids but nonetheless made a comment.

Posted

• Emili_Sancha by Emili_Sancha

At the moment my statistics are:

• total sets analized (6-feb-2015): 7259
    • total know asteroids: 85 ( I think i missed 10%-20% not counted in this case )
    • total unknow/untagged/unmarked/suspicous: 98 ( I think 10% are false due to errors of mine -noise moving rectilinear on some cases- )

I think in the first days of asteroid zoo there was a high number of sets with asteroids. Now to find an asteroid is more difficult.

(Sorry for my english...)

Regards
    Emili

Posted

• Dr.Asteroid by Dr.Asteroid scientist, admin

There is natural variation from set to set in number of asteroids. Including a few that are unusually rich (the telescope was pointing in a very favorable direction) and unusually poor (telescope was pointing out of the plane of the solar system looking for more rare things).

Based on what I know about the images, the number is approximately constant over time - but the sets vary.

Does that help?

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

Mine was a statistical curiosity. Considering that when we find an asteroid, we do not know in advance whether it is or is not known, we mark it with the four crosses and then click on the end. At this point, if we find the 'green ring (known asteroid, grrrr ....), the report EQUALLY in Talk
    with its name. If, as I believe, is the standard procedure for all, I find it strange that among all the known asteroids reported by me, only 6 had already been commented on, as many as 54 had not been found by anyone. This would seem to indicate that, on average, we can find a single asteroid shared with each other 8-10 discoveries. Therefore, one can assume that even colleagues who shared my 6 asteroids will have in turn found 10 times as many, not shared. Feel logical reasoning? Thank You.

Posted