Asteroid Zoo Talk

update????

• hightower73 by hightower73

any further news on whats happening with the updates please?

Posted

• Barbalbero by Barbalbero

I think we need to still wait, I wish we will have news of our discoveries not too late

Posted

• djsimister by djsimister

UPDATE! .....O Yes please, What a nice idea!
    We havent had anything since 20th July. Too long to be hanging, So I think some feedback would be welcomed by all just about now.
    thanks

Posted

6 days ago this was started and no reply, i guess even dmz has given up on us ???

Posted

• Barbalbero by Barbalbero in response to hightower73's comment.

More time passes, and more I think it is unbelievable what it is happening. I marked the first unknown asteroid more than one year ago and we still do not have a clear idea of the status of the project. I can understand all the problems related to the trajectory mapping (even if I think there could be a different way to obtain info from the images we study, as soon as we mark an asteroid I think there are easier way to find all the important info). But let us suppose the way chosen by the Team is the best one, it is incredible that in more than year it was impossible to produce at least one good set of images to submit to the Minor Planet Center. And I think it is also not so nice to have lack of information about details on how images are taken into account. I remember I and other people asked information but we never received info, for example we do not know which images have been sent in the past to the MPC for consideration (it seems they were not considered since there was lack of accuracy in some details), we do not know which sets of images are now taken into account, we do not know when the trajectory mapping will be finished and if it will be finished, no news at all about simple things. I consider myself lucky since I work on the astrophysics field, and for sure if I behave in the same way I am seeing in this project (i.e. giving no news, obtaining 0 results in more than one year and not replying to questions) my bosses after 3 seconds will fire me! It is annoying for me seeing that my efforts in this project did not produce results yet, and I can consider myself lucky since I obtain results in science in other way, it must be more annoying for people who have only these projects to give a contribution to the scientific community. I think DZM has already done a good job, the only few info we have are thanks to him, I suppose he cannot do too much if he does not receive relevant information. I hope we will receive a message, even to tell us they took the results of this project for themselves and we will not receive any credit for what we have done (I also believe it can happen, I have already seen similar things in scientific community, so we must also be prepared to see other people receiving benefits from what others have done).

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73 in response to Barbalbero's comment.

Like you, i belive that this project either has to be put to bed and die, or the community stop what they are doing and stop wasting our time. Its such a shame that after all the hard work we have added to this project, that we have seemly not made a single difference to any of the research, detection, or indeed helping to get informatioin to the MPC.

The lack of feedback, the lack of replies and indeed the lack of enthusiasm ( sorry cant spell ) if very disheartening for those that have put so much time into this and others continue to do every day. I for one have not marked a single frame for a while now as i have to make myself believe there will be news soon, and every day that does go by with no news, i pushing me further and further away from the project.

I started the project, simply to name an asteroid after my grandkids, but as i got further into the project, its made see how much is out there and could be out there, but i for one am getting to the stage where i am starting to think that being a scientist, is all about cups of tea, getting others to do the work for you, and get paid to speak gobbelity-gook !

Sorry feeling very disallusioned by all of this, wish i had spent 60 pounds and brought "name a star " packs instead and gave them to the grandkids. would have results a heck of a lot quicker !!!!!

Posted

• paris.antonio by paris.antonio

Does anyone know who is actually in charge? If so let me know. Im a planetary scientist and would love to take over this project. My bio is at spcollege.edu

Posted

dr.asteroid is in charge here with dmz the only admin

Posted

• Barbalbero by Barbalbero

I am just curious to know if someone of the Team read this message. In more than one week we did not receive any comment about our complaints, sometimes I feel we are considered worst than rubbish. Even a short message to tell we will receive an update the next millennium was enough.

Posted

ive had enough, im taking my work elsewhere, ill find something more worthy of my work and efforts !

Posted

• Andy_Arg by Andy_Arg in response to paris.antonio's comment.

I think The Planetary Resources: http://www.planetaryresources.com/ is behind this project

Posted

• Barbalbero by Barbalbero in response to hightower73's comment.

I am also spending more time on other projects like Planet Hunters, at least until the situation of this Project will be unclear and our previous efforts will lead to some real things.

Posted

• djsimister by djsimister

Well guys.
    hightower73 & Barbalbero
    I can only agree fully with all your comments, I too believe this has now gone way too far. It is very hard to have any sort of hope when we have done such a lot for this cause and asked for so little in return. and to date we have been given absolutely nothing back except perhaps nothing but Hollow promises and Empty gestures.

For the record I am proud to have achieved 10900 classifications. To me, this is A nice figure to finish up on. (In protest I may add) I have no doubt the both of you have completed and achieved a mountain of classifications far in excess of this. Regardless, I positively take my hat off to you both.....You are without doubt, a pair of Absolute real true "CITIZEN SCIENTISTS" and what a way to treat our elite! and loose some of our finest.

Just unbelievable really!

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73 in response to djsimister's comment.

ive no idea how many clasifications i have done, but it has to be near 1000 if not more, im no where as active as i used to be as i believed this project was making leaps and bounds forward, if you have done way over 10,000 as you say, then your more of an elite than i am, however i have studied quite a bit of what asteroids and such are about.

for the record, i cant find any other project like this out there at this present time, and none of the other projects apeal to me, so at the momment, im just going to sit and keep searching, if i find a good project ill come back and link it here, thanks for all the chats guys and girls and see you around.

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

I join the chorus of complaints about the critical situation in which we find our favorite, personally I attend AsteroidZoo since day: today I watched 22,245 images (lately I've slowed down a lot, waiting for developments).
    I reported 59 unknown asteroids that other colleagues have already mentioned, while 38 others unknown asteroids (of which 25 are evident, and 13 uncertain) were reported to me first (and perhaps in many cases only). All this made for a passion for 'astronomy and for the kind of research that interested me and I must say that I enjoyed. That there was then some sort of recognition for his work, well .... It would certainly be appreciated !!
    Forgetting definitively the possibility of seeing a discovery attributed to at least the name (or nikname or in any other form) of the author, would still be infinite ways of
    find some form of recognition with little effort and cost.
    This experience could be useful for administrators GalaxyZoo for future projects: to be clear from the outset, who the contacts, which will be the development of the work done by volunteers, especially in the event that these depend on persons or entities external to GalaxyZoo .
    All obviously made aware of those who wished to participate.
    At this point I'll look twenty images, in expectation of news and colder finally
    the second session SpaceWarps !!!

Posted

I have gone onto the main chat for zoouniverse and reported this as a dead project and who to contact in order to get someone here and sort this out, hopefully it shouldnt be long before someone comes in.

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73 in response to hightower73's comment.

i have just contact zoouniverse with the following email in the vain hope that its read and someone comes to advise us.

user name hightower73

regarding asteroidzoo

Hello,

I have no idea who to contact, so im hoping someone who reads this knows what to do.

The admin for the project have not been on the boards for weeks. The scientist Dr. Asteroid has not been seen in months and the DMZ has not been seen in over 8 weeks and everybody working on the project is very fed up with undertones of our work spotting asteroids has been a waste of time,

There are some very disgruntelled users on the project ( including me ) thats been on the project for over a year with no results, constant promises that there will be updates. This is simply not happening.

With noone being on the project for over 8 weeks, we all feel the project has died and that we have been simply left alone to go our own ways and this is not only a shame, but also a lot feel a waste of our time and feel very negative about this.

Is there anything anyone can do? can the admin be reached? is there anyone that can come on the boards and give reasurrance that the admin are trying to reached?

There is almost a mutany happening on the boards, and the undertones on the board feels explosive.

Thank you for reading and hope someone can hep

A very worried citizen scientist.

Posted