Asteroid Zoo Talk

Marking artifacts

• ih573164 by ih573164

Are we supposed to mark "stable" artifacts on each frame (particularly "star bleeds" which usually remain fairly constant on all frames)?

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik

I don't know about the "supposed" stuff. Leaving that for those that do know.

Personally I don't see the point in marking star-bleeds ... at all (so I don't mark them).
    But if you do like to mark them, just marking them on frame-1 seems sufficient. Like you said, there not really moving across the different time-framed.

Posted

• aspringer by aspringer

Wondering the same as ih573164. Marking the same stationary artifact in each frame makes this tedious and pulls focus away from looking for asteroids. Adding to this question, the dark circular artifacts, do we need to mark those in each frame? They do move, but if they are artifacts why does this matter? No matter where it is an artifact is not as asteroid.

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik

I'm not aware of any pressing needs to do so.
    - Except one perhaps: if you mark a particular artifact (that moves), do so in all frames it shows up.
    - I also kinda feel that Azoo is a bit lean on how artifact markings are used (and/or helpful).

Remember that the Azoo project is volunteer based. And if there are any needs for artifact markings, Azoo is probably relying on just a few users marking them at some point, instead of all users marking them all the time.

So your free to make up your own mind on what you like to mark, and when. Not that helpful in actually answering your question, but it might help in feeling less bad when not marking everything that's there to be marked.

Personally ... I'm using the act of artifact marking to break up the general boredom that can come from only looking for asteroid's ... while not finding any known's or unknown's flying by for a long time. 😃

Posted

• aspringer by aspringer

Thank you, your answer was helpful in many ways. You also helped adjust my perspectivo which is perhaps the most important help of all.

Posted