Asteroid Zoo Talk

Characteristic motion of certain type of artifacts.

• ih573164 by ih573164

I've noticed several bright artifacts moving in a triangle -- in frame 2 they move straight up, then down+right in frame 3, and then left in frame 4.
    Example:
    http://talk.asteroidzoo.org/?_ga=1.154177528.1727717787.1445809542#/subjects/AAZ000hjh8

I'm interested into what causes this; perhaps something to do with the detector?

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik

More or less, yes.

by scibuff

The reason is pretty simple actually ... the telescope is deliberately pointed a bit off between individual frames so that artifacts move in a pattern which can be easily distinguished from that of asteroids.

To see how this works, let's say you center the telescope so that a particular start is exactly in the center of the field of view. Now imagine there is a speck of dust causing an artifact to appear exactly at the center, i.e right on top of the start You take image #1, then move the telescope slightly so that the start is a bit off of the center of the field of view and you take image #2 (which will have the artifact right in the center). Now, if you align the two images so the star is exactly in the same place, it will appear that it is the artifact that has moved between the frames!

Posted

• ih573164 by ih573164

OK, thanks.

Posted