Asteroid Zoo Talk

Hello :)

• amr2014 by amr2014

Hello
    I have only one question 😃
    How I can know that I discovered asteroid? And many thanks

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73

there are 3 ways, if you find an asteroid on a new plate ( ie you have the green writing on the right hand side that says guess what? your the first to see this ! ) then you really are the first to see it, so any asteroids are likely to be unknown. the 2nd is finding an asteroid and when you press done, there is no writing at the top of the screen, if they are known you get a green circle and the name of the asteroid. 3rd is waiting.....a very long wait till your marking is confirmed my the MPC which at the momment has taken over a year.

Posted

• amr2014 by amr2014

WooooooW Over a Year hahaha 😄
    any way thank you man 😃

Posted

• amr2014 by amr2014

i have question!what if i didn't see (guess what? your the first to see this !) and i saw an asteroid then i marked it and pressed done and he didn't say something at the top of the screen, so is it new one?

Posted

Right, all sets are rotated to ensure that several people see it, everyone may or may not see any canidates that you may or may not see and mark them. there is no way of knowing if you are the first to mark or the 500th person.

The only way of knowing just now .............there is none, were hoping when the results come through soon and as far as im aware the first 3 people are being named and that the first one that found the canidate is entitled to name it.

however there is a long road to nameing an asteroid. once it has been marked, the mpc have to verifiy that its there, then follow the track and then turn a telescope on it to cheak its there. if it is, its given a number, the mpc then observe the canidate and monitor its path and it make sure its not a threat to earth, this can take between 6 months and a year. the canidate is then listed in the mpc bible of asteroids, again this happens 4 times a year, once it is listed, its then published. once its been published again every quarter, your then invited to write in to the mpc with a reason why you want the asteroid to be given a name. once the mpc meet again every quarter, they will discuss the name and apporove the name, this is then sent back to you with them saying yes they agree and then it will be put forward for the publishers. its the replubished.

you are looking at the current time as our work from over a year ago has still not passed stage 1, so if you marked something today, being totally realistic, around 3 to 5 years if not longer to name your asteroid.

hope this helps

Posted

• amr2014 by amr2014

Lol 😄 thank you

Posted

• amr2014 by amr2014

if you go to my account in amr2014 Collections section you will see "Asteroid by Amr2014" is that mean they confirmed it?

Posted

No body as yet have had an asteroid confirmed, so i doubt that very much. i would guess there would be a post or a private mail from the the team to tell you if you had discovered an asteroid. i doubt they would just changed a set's name .

Posted

• amr2014 by amr2014

ammm lol 😄 thank you 😃

Posted

• Meanjean4321 by Meanjean4321

I was notified that I was the first to find a new asteroid and it was a pretty good size.. I got all kids of congrats

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73 in response to Meanjean4321's comment.

When was this and which site was it? was it through asteroidzoo?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I... wouldn't think so... ? Not sure what that person is talking about...

Posted

• amr2014 by amr2014

hehehe lol 😄 😄

Posted

• Meanjean4321 by Meanjean4321

I have been dealing with my brothers death so i havent been able to check back. i start this about 3 years ago or so so i was brand new when i found the asteroid that i was told was undiscovered but i cant find it as yet but i will keep looking. it was in the top right quadrant and was a pretty good size. it was here at Azoo

Posted

@meanjean4321 ive been here for over 2 1/2 years and ive never ever seen any confirmed asteroids through azoo. You may have had congratulations from other azoo members but its not yet confirmed by azoo themselves, therefore it may still be a known asteroid when all our findings are confirmed by the MPC.

Hopefully this will be the case later in the projects life but the way things are going, its unlikley but i wish you well.

Posted