Asteroid Zoo Talk

How do you recognize asteroids while classifiying?

• PlanetGazer8350 by PlanetGazer8350

I don't know how some people can recognize and identify if the asteroid is new, or has already been identified? Please if you are one of those persons who know how to, please tell me.

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73

On top of the set you have marked when you finish, there will be a notice if there is a known Asteroid in the set and will be marked in green, if there is an asteroid that you have marked and is not not known there will be no notice.

Also when the set is loaded, on the right below the marking options, there will be a green notice to say you are the first to see this! , if you then spot a candidate and mark it, then you will be the first to have seen it.

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik

(by @PlanetGazer8350) I don't know how some people can recognize and identify if the asteroid is new,
    or has already been identified?

I recommend reading this Quite clear faint asteroid Talk.

(by @hightower73) On top of the set you have marked when you finish, there will be a notice if there is a known (to AZ) Asteroid in the set and will be marked in green.

Partially true. The missing part here is that even if there is a, known to AZ, asteroid in the image-set, AZ will NOT report it as a known asteroid if its magnitude value is 19 or higher (M>=19).

Not to sure about to following. But I think there is also some upper limit. Which is probably related to which asteroids AZ has stored in its known-database. M>15 I think.

(hightower73) if there is an asteroid that you have marked and is not not known (to AZ) there will be no notice.

This implies AZ will report those M>=19 asteroids when they are marked (by the user in the classifying process) as asteroid. Although personally I'm not to sure about that.

On top of that, the known to AZ Asteroid database is, as far as I can tell, not updated ... ever.

There is a "currently known asteroids" number on the AZ main page. But that data is pulled directly from MPC (Minor Planet Center) and has no relevants to what known-asteroid data AZ is using.

Just for the record:
    "Today (May 2 2016), there are 713,143 known asteroids in the Solar System."

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik

Alternative/simplified answer to PlanetGazer8350 question.

By checking and comparing Azoo spotted asteroids against online known-asteroid data/sites.

Posted