Asteroid Zoo Talk

Not seeing anything in the introduction slide where 3 are 'pointed out' to me

• N5bz by N5bz

The detection interface for the 'ice hunters' search seemed to be much better for detecting such objects because a moving object 'drew a streak' on the image that was easy to see.
    If I remember correctly, the multiple images were summed in a way that stationary objects in multiple frames canceled each other out while moving objects were enhanced.

Final comment: for those using keyboard and mouse, I HATE to use the mouse except to select objects IN an image that can only be selected that way.
    I want 'hot keys' for all repetitive functions, arranged in such a way that I never need to take my left hand off the keyboard nor use the mouse to punch a button.

Posted

• Devilstower by Devilstower

Nothing in these images that I got, either. I went so far as to print them out and go over them with a hand lens. Nada.

Posted

• N5bz by N5bz

I went back, captured the images and subtract one from another to see if I could see anything.

I just tried this on the first 'tutorial image' taking the 'difference' between image 1 and 2 then image 3 and 4 and then combo 1 from 2, using paintshop pro's 'difference' function.

http://goo.gl/7yg2yI is my result, and it clearly shows two and possibly 3 interesting things! So, I just missed seeing them.
    differences
    I have done that with a couple of 'you are the first one to see these images' and so far I am ending up with a nice, even, slightly grainy gray, with nothing 'outstanding' as different in the images.

It would ALSO help if the images were aligned better. I notice a small 'jump' between them as the set cycles.
    Perhaps someone thought it would be easier to see something that moves differently than the other stuff, but with the background noise changing from frame to frame, it just seems to confuse things.

Posted

• N5bz by N5bz

The interface seems to have changed since I first tried it earlier this morning. It IS a bit better now! Still need 'hot keys' so we don't need to click on non image stuff.

No... I see now that the interface is different when you select 'artifact' than when you select 'asteroid'.
    I don't see why they are different.

Posted

• N5bz by N5bz

After over 100 images, I STILL think that the ice hunter project did a MUCH MUCH better job of finding possible asteroids.

I feel so frustrated by this projects interface.
    I viewed the tutorial and hints and even wrote an 'AutoHotKey' script to repeated rapidly cycle between images 1 through 4, as was suggested using the cursor.
    It IS better but the pictorial subtractions of the images, as I showed, gives a much better way to detect a moving spot by getting rid of everything that isn't moving.

Posted

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

Would be a nice improvement to have a button similar to the cycle that could show a pictorial subtraction. You get a bit of it with the cycle command, but i often find that function does not help as much on the fain ones. More tools would always be a good thing.

Posted