Asteroid Zoo Talk

Asteroid

• TED91 by TED91

Asteroid at the 12 o'clock position in the middle of image. It wasn't mark as a known one.

It's not visible in the first frame (due to background star).

Posted

• Del_Congdon by Del_Congdon

Yep, I concur, Asteroid 😃

Posted

• Barbalbero by Barbalbero

I also studied the image, we can see the object moving in frame 2 and 3, let us hope to have made a new discovery!!!

Posted

• Dr.Asteroid by Dr.Asteroid scientist, admin

By the way - this is exactly the sort of thing that we were hoping would happen - you're better at figuring out if something was hiding in a star's light than the computers will be. We'll see if the minor planet center agrees that it's an asteroid, but this is just excellent.

Posted

• Barbalbero by Barbalbero in response to Dr.Asteroid's comment.

Just one question, sorry if it is too stupid: how long will it take in order to know if it is a new asteroid?

Posted

• Dr.Asteroid by Dr.Asteroid scientist, admin

Not at all!

This may take a while. The process involves enough people "finding" the same object, reporting it to the minor planet center and then hearing back from them.

The longer time is having enough clicks on a particular asteroid to ensure that it's "good" - that seems to be the bottleneck (and we're working on making it move forward more quickly - we're learning at the same time how "good" is "good" before we inundate the minor planet center).

The minor planet center has asked us not to send a truly vast number of objects before we have a chance to confirm them.

When we find out, we'll be letting people know. I hope that the first set of results will be this week.

Posted

• Barbalbero by Barbalbero in response to Dr.Asteroid's comment.

Thanks for your kind reply. I just forgot to ask one thing. How we will know if our indications of asteroids were right?

Posted

• mrpsb by mrpsb

This popped up for me, it's like the asteroid is cheeky and playing peekaboo 😃

Posted