Asteroid Zoo Talk

don't understand

• j.t.searcy by j.t.searcy

An image appeared with a notice saying I was the first person to see it. After scanning & selecting nothing, a message appeared saying an asteroid was present & circled in green. How could it be known an asteroid was present if I was the first person to see the image????

Posted

• CTidwell3 by CTidwell3

It means you were the first person in this project to see that particular image set. Separately, this project has logic in some sets to let us know when a known asteroid is in that image.

Put those both together, and it means you were the first person to see this known asteroid image set on Asteroid Zoo. I've found some of these to be hard to notice and some easy to see, but when I find one that is already known, it at least lets me know I am on the right track for noticing some of them.

Posted

• meegja by meegja in response to j.t.searcy's comment.

There is a database with all kind of asteroids and these are also marked in the sets we view. And like CTidwell3 said, some sets are not seen by human eyes here at Asteroidzoo but the software knows there is a known asteroid in it.
    Have to agree though that the description could be better cause the text indeed implies that you are the first ever to see it.

Posted

• j.t.searcy by j.t.searcy

CTidewell3 & meegia: Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I am a newbie to chat boxes & sent another but same question just a few seconds ago prior to searching for answers first...duhh! If you spot it, disregard.

Posted