Asteroid Zoo Talk

first to se set of images

• Meanjean4321 by Meanjean4321

it said i was the first to see the set of images but then it said i found an asteroid that someone else found. also when i do find a new one how long does it take to find out. thanks

Posted

• stonepenny by stonepenny

I've been told, when enough people have done some frame sets, new ones are added. I think that bit's random. As for someone else has already found, all frame sets have been screened by their computer before we see them, so many asteroids have already been found, especially the big ones. Our job is to find as many as we can, regardless of size: some of the big ones, although known, their path may not be, so our work helps the scientists track them; as for the smaller/fainter ones, their computer has missed some (confirmed to me by a scientist on here), so those are new, to all. For the confirmations, when enough people have said 'there's one here', those are sent for verification. Hope this helps 😃 You can also check out the guides, feedback etc on the message boards.

Posted

• Dr.Asteroid by Dr.Asteroid scientist, admin

Yes - it is random for when you get a new set of images. It is extremely hard to even estimate what was missed, so you'll see a lot that were seen the first time the images were scanned by computer.

Posted

• Meanjean4321 by Meanjean4321

it said i was the first to find one monday night. do they name it after us or give it a number. do they notify us or anything. i have been wanting to do this for years and i thin its fun. im excited i found a new one. good luck everybody

Posted

• stonepenny by stonepenny

Hi, from what I've been told/learned on here, if someone finds a new asteroid, and it's verified by the experts, yes, it can be named after the person who found it. We're doing this work as the computer program didn't catch all there are. I agree, it's fun! It's also good for older children, not just adults - I think of it as 'spot the difference' and like an online Hidden Object game 😃

Posted

• aussietrooper by aussietrooper

How do you know if someone else has reviewed the set?

Posted