Asteroid Zoo Talk

mega star

• hightower73 by hightower73

any ideas which star this is?

Posted

• peterbees by peterbees

Probably not a star. Hightower73 you are a star here on this discussion set. Recommend you spend some time in study of extra-galactic objects. This may be a globular cluster or a bright (relatively speaking) distant galactic centre, or something else. Happy hunting and learning!

Posted

peterbees, thank you for the compiment lol, seriously though, i thought with a globular cluster you could define blobs as a irregular shape rather than a singular shape as this appers to be. and with galaxys, i wouldnt have thought they would be this large unless they are a close by say less than 100 light years away? but i know that the dearest galaxy is about 300 light years away so it couldnt be that surely?

im also very happy to learn here, that is why im always asking questions that maybe someone else could answer and learn that way. if i knew how to get a grid referance for that part of sky and where to get the answer i would have looked it up, but being fairly new ( i just about know where the moon is lol ) im not all that clued up im afraid but thank you for the reply and will do as you suggest.

Posted

ok after looking up globular clusters, i can see that yes this could be one, however im unable to find out which one this could be. thats made my day finding this out. its really cool.

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

Higtower73 , you can find the coordinates of an astronomical object, bringing its image on Astrometry.net

Posted

right, so how do i find the objects coordinates on here to look it up?

sorry but if you could do me a walk through please ( yes im one of those that needs clear step by step ( ive a.s.d. ))

Posted

ahhhhh ok, found out how to do it, but its given me no info on this, just gave me this...

Calibration
    Center (RA, Dec): (189.752, 0.368)
    Center (RA, hms): 12h 39m 00.385s
    Center (Dec, dms): +00° 22' 04.460"
    Size: 10.7 x 10.7 arcmin
    Radius: 0.126 deg
    Pixel scale: 2.51 arcsec/pixel
    Orientation: Up is 180 degrees E of N
    WCS file: wcs.fits
    New FITS image: new-image.fits
    Reference stars nearby (RA,Dec table): rdls.fits
    Stars detected in your images (x,y table): axy.fits
    Correspondences between image and reference stars (table): corr.fits
    KMZ (Google Sky): image.kmz

so i know its near virgo, but not what the cluster is called.....

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

Higthower73, the coordinates of the image center are:
    RA 12h 39m 00,385s
    Dec + 00 ° 22 '04.460 "
    Constellation Virgo
    What seems a big star is a smoot globular galaxy, in the lower right we see an almost in profile and there are several other smaller.
    On my atlas SkyAtlas however, are not reported, so I assume that they are very very faint

Posted

thank you nicro. is it a known galaxy? im not able to see any name for it

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

Not belonging to a galaxy NGC catalog , but will definitely have an identification markings left by some of the most recent catalog of deep sky objects. Let's see if we can help some zooties.

Posted

• Abr2112 by Abr2112

hightower73 This is a nice approximation of the image: http://skyserver.sdss3.org/public/en/tools/chart/navi.aspx?ra=189.75467&dec=0.36555&scale=1.25

Posted

thank you abr2112, still unable to find a name for it though

Posted

• Abr2112 by Abr2112 in response to hightower73's comment.

Indeed there is no name for it in NGC or IC. The only names I found in the SDSS-database were: UGC 7813, MK 778 and PGC 42305.
    Please follow link for additional info: http://skyserver.sdss3.org/public/en/tools/explore/summary.aspx?id=0x112d02f481ee0020&spec=0x0488878795006800&apid=
    Kind regards,
    Ad

Posted

ugc 7813 is the galaxy to the lower right, mk778 is directly below and pgc 42305 is lower left ! so this is a totally new galaxy !

how do i register this? anyone got any info on how this can be done?

Posted

• Abr2112 by Abr2112 in response to hightower73's comment.

Actually UGC 7813, MK 778 and PGC 42305 are all designations for this galaxy. As is the SDSS designation SDSS J123901.12+002155.9

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73 in response to Abr2112's comment.

sorry, then it must be the way i was misreading astrometry, thanks for that, got mega excited lol

Posted