Asteroid Zoo Talk

Variable star?

• PreJhTrg by PreJhTrg

Hi all,

Does anyone know if this is a variable star or an artifact brightening @ 5 o'clock? It's certainly not behaving like the rest of the stars in these images. If real, I doubt it would be unknown.

Thanks for your help,

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73

the only thing i can see is the single white dot thats dancing about in the set, if thats what you are talking about then its its a lens artifact, most likely a spot of dust on the lens when the picture was taken.

Posted

• PreJhTrg by PreJhTrg

Thanks for the reply, but the object i'm describing is definetly a (bright) star slowly getting brighter. I don't know if the brightening is some sort of artifact, but I know the object I'm describing is definitely real.

Here's the star's location in the images:
    255*255 Pixels
    (0.0) Upper left

coordinates: (156.182)

Thanks again,

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik

Yep, variable star.

NSVS 13552432 -- Variable Star of RR Lyr type

AladinLite

Posted

• PreJhTrg by PreJhTrg

Thanks for the reply, how are you able to get the coordinates for objects in these images?
    Thanks again,

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik

I calculate some nearby sky-coordinate based on the CSS location part ("N04089" in this case).
    And than try to find the right spot in Aladin-Lite and Aladin-Desktop. (more as practice to get better at finding the right area.)

But if that fails ... I just use nova.astrometry.net 😃

O yea. One's you know the right location, Aladin-Desktop will give just about everything you need to find what's what in that area.

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73

right got it now, i missed it due to looking in the wrong area on max zoom sorry

Posted

• PreJhTrg by PreJhTrg

Ok, thanks! 😃

Posted