Asteroid Zoo Talk

strange brightening with one star in the FOV

• djsimister by djsimister

The star bottom right corner (lowest of the set of 3) it appears to enlarge / brightens quite significantly in frame 2 only ? probably just an artifact. But I cant recall seeing this type of event with a single star in the FOV?

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik

Keep the general artifact pattern in mind when seeing sudden changes near a border.

In frame 2 general telescoop artifacts are (generally) at there highest position. And here its not just popping in from the bottom. It also, accidentally, lines up with a already present star in that location.

Posted

@ MvGulik thanks for your detailed explanation. I kind of guessed it would be artifactual in nature. I mean, there's no such thing as an "Inflatable" star that re-acts like a puffa fish in distress! Right?

enter image description here
    enter image description here

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik in response to djsimister's comment.

(djsimister) there's no such thing as an "Inflatable" star that re-acts like a puffa fish in distress! Right?

Well ...
    For normal stars I think its pretty save to say "no: not possible", given the relative short time span between the frames.
    But considering the Universe showed the world not to long ago it can be pretty nasty and extreme. There is always a very small change its something real.

--

Scientists have detected a flash of light from across
    the Galaxy so powerful that it bounced off the Moon and lit up the
    Earth's upper atmosphere. The flash was brighter than anything ever
    detected from beyond our Solar System and lasted over a tenth of a
    second.

... the event, arising from neutron star SGR 1806-20, about 50,000 light years from Earth in the constellation Sagittarius. ...
    Ref: nasa: Cosmic Explosion Among the Brightest in Recorded History (Feb 18 2005)

--

... It gets worse. This enormous wave of fierce energy was so powerful it
    actually partially ionized the Earth’s upper atmosphere, and it made
    the Earth’s magnetic field ring like a bell. ...
    Ref: slate (Phil Plait): Anniversary of a Cosmic Blast (Dec. 27 2012)

It can be really scary out there. 😃

Posted

@ MvGulic Cheers,
    I've just checked and read the articles. very interesting and I am both more educated and quite speechless! I mean we know this lovely diverse universe (our home town really!) Has a few mega huge monster bouncing around out there in the dark that challenges our understanding of what we perceive as a thing being "SUPERSIZE" or "BIG" & "LARGE" etc.........But the stats mentioned in the article are almost unimaginable?:

They can have masses up to twice that of the Sun, but are so compact they may be less than 20 kilometers (12 miles) across.
    A single cubic centimeter of neutron star material would have a mass of 100 million tons.

These are simply outrageous weights and measures! & to think that this is the nature, a normal metamorphic cycle of life for one of these exotic, unstable beasts.& Worst still, some of these guys could be camping out just a few blocks away! The 2004 cosmic mega flash blast was reportedly only a mere 10 blocks away when the fuse was lit! Which is very very close to where we all live? No wonder some of it bounced off our moon! I cant recall any of this incredible potential near "Extinction event" ever being reported at the time in the news or press!

On a more optimistic note, Thank goodness the universe is expanding! A few billion years of inflation should hopefully Elevate the threat and worry, give us a bit of space to relax, perhaps chill out a bit more! :~}
    Appreciations and Thanks for sharing.

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik in response to djsimister's comment.

This event was, relatively speaking, not even close to being in the same city. But still in the same country/galaxy (as the image at slate showed), which makes this type so scary (and fascinating at the same time).

Positives:

• Magnetar's are (probably) relatively rare.
    • These are shotgun events. CQ: The bulk of the energie (ergo: the danger) is focused in a narrow area (beams).

Your welcome. 😃

... Nothing in the Universe scares me more than the danger we pose to our-self. ...

Posted