Asteroid Zoo Talk

REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD FANTASTIC NEWS !!!!!!!!!! PLEASE READ

• hightower73 by hightower73

After all my emails to the zooniverse owner, to my boss on my other project victoria and mails to a gentleman called Grant miller, i have recieved an email to the following

Hi,

we are currently in discussions with the science team about getting results out of the project and should have something for all of the volunteers to see very soon. I hope this helps relieve some of your worries

cheers

Grant

Ive replied to him and thanked him on everyones behalf, and lets hope this is finally going to get results from this project and we finally get to know if we have found some new asteroids !

Posted

• Barbalbero by Barbalbero

Let us hope to have really a good news about the results obtained

Posted

• djsimister by djsimister

That's very very positive news indeed. :~}
    @hightower73 Big Thank you for all representations that you've made & for sharing this great news.

Posted

• nilium by nilium

We hope there will be positive results...

Posted

I have another update for everyone....

I have just recieved an email from Chris lintott ( the owner of zooniverse ) who says :-

"were talking to the science team, and the results look ok !" ( this i take to be very very positvive news ), he is currently away counting penguins according to his auto reply when i replied to him, but has also said in the mail that he will chase them upon his return and see where they are.

He also says that it took them a long time to get results out for Galaxy Zoo, so im wondering if from the message above and this statement, that we will be getting an update very shortly maybe, maybe along the lines that the results have been sent to the MPC and will have to await results from them....

we shall see........

Posted

This is very good news indeed.
    Thanks for this and again for sharing this positive news and for keeping us updated on the progress as it happens.
    Positively recieved & appreciated by all for sure.
    :-}

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

We confidently await, we are AZ types tough and stubborn

Posted

• GingerLilly by GingerLilly

Thankyou for this update. I'm new to Asteroid Zoo and had been wondering if I was just wasting my time. My hope has been rekindled! : )
    Off to search the stars...

Posted

• Barbalbero by Barbalbero in response to hightower73's comment.

Hi
    It seems there are no particular news, I wished to have an update for this project but we did not have any information even if three weeks are passed since you received the last news.
    Let us hope sooner or later we will receive attention.

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73 in response to Barbalbero's comment.

I'll send another email to grant and Chris and see if I receive a response and get back to everyone.

Posted

Thanks for your hard work. I really hope we will have some good news, even if sometimes the hopes are very few since it seems we are forgotten

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73 in response to Barbalbero's comment.

well ive heard back from Grant Millor and he has not heard anything from the science team yet, so he will get in touch and see whats going on, but thats all i can tell everyone, im still in the dark as to whats going on.

Posted

Thanks for the information! Let us see what it will happen

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik

Bump: 1 month marker (without AZ-team stepping out of there black box.)

... Priorities are a funny thing. The master one ... rules all others. ...

Posted

I have contacted Grant Millor again and asked him to either close the project and pass our data to another team so that our efforts are not watsed or give could they give us an update in the next few days, im sorry everyone i feel so very sad that i cant do anymore that what i am doing. Im not an admin on this project and there is only a little i can do.

I really want to help everyone and belive in thier hard work not go to waste, but without access to be able to contact the science team directly, i have to try and go through a 3rd party and that takes time.

I will be here till the end what ever that end maybe.....

Posted

Thanks for your efforts

Posted

Okay as promised I have been in contact with Grant Millor and he has assured me that him and Chris will again contact the science team and inform them of how we feel and ask them to inform us of what's going on.

He is also now concerned that the science team have not been on here and is also concerned of how we are all feeling, so its a case of wait and see.

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik in response to hightower73's comment.

Good to see some, to me, seemingly sincere concerns coming from the Zooniverse side.

Just hope, apart from some changes on AZ of course, Zooniverse also tries to take a peek at why the AZ-team pulled away from the public/community part of AZ.

Posted

• hopopop by hopopop

Thank you for the informations & efforts. I really deeply hope our work will not be lost.

Posted

• leonie_van_vliet by leonie_van_vliet

To dr. Grant Miller,

Like others I am happy to know, you are involved in Asteroid-zoo. So many volunteers would like to know if they are wasting
    their time on this project here. Rekindle the interest as: "Gingerlilly" has put it so eloquently is importent for many!
    Today is stargazing day! ☆☆
    I am hoping to see a shooting star and make a wish: 'Volunteers getting a reaction on their efforts every now and than' as to
    acknowledging the time they spend on projects.

So Grant, wishing you all the best with the task ahead...

Kind regards!

Leonie 

Posted

Well guys I've mailed mrmillor twice more and each time was promised to speak to the science team, and we still have not heard a thing!

So I'm sorry my efforts have failed and I don't know what else I can do. I can only assume now that this project is dead and noone cares. I'm going to say goodbye and find a different citizen project where people care about you.

I was an admin on another project and I've totally lost all interest in zooniverse so I bid you all farewell.

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

Yes, I am convinced that the best thing is to close everything and move on. Too bad, I think that the confidence and the 'enthusiasm GalaxyZoo other projects are for many of us compromised enough

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik in response to hightower73's comment.

hightower73, Just remember that at least you tried.

... You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink ...

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73 in response to MvGulik's comment.

Never a truer word said my friend.

Posted

@hightower73
    A very big Thank you again. You have done more than enough on behalf of all AZ members to bring our issues to notice. My overall dedication, time and input to zooniverse projects has also been increasingly infected, affected & tainted by the lack of responses & by what 'HAS NOT' happened for us on this project. It doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Before any project closure or suspension of AZ, I believe the very least that should be done is that we are formally and publicly given recognition for all the potential new asteroids. There are many new finds in the pipeline which we have all collectively found and highlighted through nothing but everyone's personal dedication and hard work in classifying countless thousands of data sets.

This is not a hope or something to be put up for consideration. It has to be done.

Thanks
    Dean.

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

I fully endorse

Posted

• djsimister by djsimister in response to nicro46's comment.

Hi nicro46
    Thanks a lot (& sorry I'm a bit late saying it!)
    :~}

Posted

"Before any project closure or suspension of AZ, I believe the very least that should be done is that we are formally and publicly given recognition for all the potential new asteroids. There are many new finds in the pipeline which we have all collectively found and highlighted through nothing but everyone's personal dedication and hard work in classifying countless thousands of data sets.This is not a hope or something that needs consideration. It just has to be done."

Hi all Fellow AZ: Users, Addicts, Enthusiasts & Contributors...I'd be interested to know how many of you dedicated good folk would agree / disagree with this comment? Please Feel free to write any of your individual Yes or No's & any Opinions / comments are also very welcome.

Thanx

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

I repeat, I completely agree. This project was born two years ago, and some, including myself, work there ever since. I think we have given all our contributions, and would be an insult to all of us to see it wasted. Who could avoid it, take it into consideration. Personally I have to say that, for some reason, there are fond of me and I found it difficult to abandon it for other projects (I would be a sentimental?)

Posted

• djsimister by djsimister in response to nicro46's comment.

well said, nicro46.
    I'm exactly the same. For some reason, personally I find it's so very addictive. I just Can't keep off the AZ. & The same goes for Planet hunters just cant keep away from this either!

Dean :~/

Posted

• Barbalbero by Barbalbero

Hi all.
    I am also one of the hunters who worked in this project since it started and I really hope our work will be recognized somehow. It is really sad to see the behavior of the Staff, they totally forgot us, I think it is impossible they did not find even one minute in many months just to tell us there are no main news.

Posted

• zutopian by zutopian

The researchers of "Planetary Resources" apparently don't follow the "Zooniverse's three ethical rules" and the "Zooniverse Project Builder Policies"!
    Is there anything, what the "Zooniverse Team" really could do in this case? (when sending e-mails to Planetary R. doesn't help!)

Actually, the Zooniverse has following "Three ethical rules".:

Citizen Science Case Study: Galaxy Zoo/ Zooniverse,
    Author: Nathan R. Prestopnik

1. Don’t waste people’s time
    2. Treat participants as collaborators
    3. Don’t do anything computationally that you don’t need humans to do.

http://socs.ischool.syr.edu/socs_website/uploads/profile/researchpaper/galaxyzoo.pdf

There are following statements concerning those rules.:

The first of these rules is relatively self-explanatory, and it is based on an assumption: that people are participating in projects like Galaxy Zoo because they are interested in being involved in research, not simply because they like clicking through a decision tree
    about galaxies. Successful adherence to this rule involves making sure that the data people are contributing will be useful, and making sure that papers are published from it. Furthermore, it requires that data stop being collected when it is no longer necessary; (...)

Treating participants as collaborators is another important approach to citizen science.(...)
    (...) This an important aspect of collaboration, and the Zooniverse projects are designed to give participants credit for their help. In fact, many publications resulting from Galaxy Zoo come with a lengthy list of contributors; Galaxy Zoo participants are asked to provide a real name that they would like to be identified by in any published research.

Finally, it is important not to ask participants to do tasks that can be handled by existing computational hardware or software.(...)

In the "Zooniverse Project Builder Policies" there are given following statements.:

Projects promoted to the Zooniverse community also need to:

• Have the goal of producing useful research; this means they not only need to be well designed, but that you should have thought about who is going to use the results, and put in the effort to turn them into a formal publication.

Make their classification data open after a proprietary period, normally lasting two years from project launch.

Communicate results to their communities, via open access publication, a blog or elsewhere.

(...)

https://www.zooniverse.org/lab-policies

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

In view of these rules absolutely right, we have to wonder who does not want to follow and why.

Posted