• odasso by odasso

is it possible to have FITS files?
    Thanks!
    Alessandro

Posted

• scibuff by scibuff

I doubt it because

1. You can't (easily) display them in a browser
    2. I wouldn't be surprised if a single png like this was cut from a much larger field (perhaps what you see is a 1/64 or even smaller part of the original)
    3. You could, in theory, "steal" the discovery by recovering the object and reporting to MPC before user feedback is analyzed by Zoo

etc

Posted

• Capella05 by Capella05 in response to scibuff's comment.

I disagree 😃

Over at SpaceWarps, we allowed the users to download the FITS images, so they could do their own analysis. I do not think many volunteers went to the trouble of doing that, but it was available 😃

We might* of masked the RA/DEC, but they could still play around with the images and post their result in Talk.

Posted

• odasso by odasso

About point (3), I understand that this behaviour would be totally unfair to say the least!

Let me put it in another way:

this is a "citizen science" project: when the science team behind the project finds that a reported object is unknow, then they could report it to MPC as soon as possible but also give feedback to the citizen: some of us may volunteer to use a remote telescope to try to follow up the discovery.

Kind Regards,
    Alessandro

Posted

• scibuff by scibuff

Well, in another image set, I saw (40602) 1999 RO152, which is just past conjuction with the Sun and hasn't been observable since December 2013 (elongation < 60 degrees), which suggest these images are from the fall of 2013 the latest ... there is absolutely no hope what-so-ever to follow-up on new one-night objects seen here.

Posted