Asteroid Zoo Talk

Possible object found

• nadirt by nadirt

Slightly below the center of the frame

Posted

• scibuff by scibuff

Don't see anything there (although don't have access to the inverted view)

Posted

• Staceva by Staceva

I can see it faintly moving downwards in 3 out of 4 frames, good spot

Posted

• scibuff by scibuff

Hmm, to me that looks like a favorable alignment of the background noise in 3 out of 4, which IIRC has a chance of about ~1% to happen, so we are bound to see some. To make sure, examination of astrometry from the 3 frames would be required. I'd personally never report this to MPC without another confirmation first, but I think it is a good idea to mark it as a candidate. Even more so that its motion is fairly retrograde, almost opposite to the direction of regular main belt objects in these images so if it is real, would have a good chance of being a NEO or even a faint inactive comet.

p.s. after years of working with similar data virtually every night, my eyes are sort of self-trained to ignore these kind of candidates, therefore it is definitely good to have an untainted pair examining these

Posted

• scibuff by scibuff

Managed to dl the frames, invert them and animate

enter image description here

there is definitely nothing on frame #4 and examining the movement closely it seems to me that RMS would be way off for a linear motion fit

Still, I'd definitely mark this as a candidate so that it can be examined properly. Even if it turns out not to be real, having many examples such as this would definitely help the machine learning efforts.

Posted

• nadirt by nadirt

Thank you.

Posted