Asteroid Zoo Talk

Help! is it an Asteroid? FMO? Comet? or Artifact?

• djsimister by djsimister

it runs fairly quick. Is not very bright. looks ragged and misshapen located at the mid 4 0 clock position. heads upwards. in X 4 frames.
    Appreciate some feedback. :~/

Posted

• hightower73 by hightower73

using crtl and =+ i can increase the frame size, it looks to me as a rotating asteroid, the track is straight and liner so i assume the shape change is a tumberling asteroid

Posted

@hightower73
    How silly of me not to think of zooming it! I do believe you're spot on now I've seen it large
    Thanks a million for your time again in checking this one out and you/re feedback.
    Always appreciated..

Posted

• AstroTinker by AstroTinker

Also notice the #coma (look it up, similar to astigmatism in the eye) which shows here as a ragged bottom edge of all the stars. This, plus noise in the image could also appear to cause a shape change in such a small object. Good catch! It is rather fast moving, but not quite enough for elongation to show up at this resolution. With 30 second exposure every 10 min, elongation would be short tracks of 1/20 th the distance between images. I keep hoping to catch one!

Posted

@ AstroTinker
    Very big thanks to you also for your input. Your excellent and very cool analysis is very much appreciated and, too a Novice like me and many others, its very informative.
    Cheersalot
    Dean

Posted