Asteroid Zoo Talk

Odd Artifact

• djsimister by djsimister

The blinking satellite looking artifact in the top right hand corner (frame 1) seems a bit odd to me. Only because in frame 4 there appears to be a very faint similar artifact except much smaller and retracted (or is it just my tired eyes!)
    opinions welcome please.
    Dean

Posted

• AstroTinker by AstroTinker in response to djsimister's comment.

Is the object in 4 in the same location, or somewhere else in the frame?

Posted

• djsimister by djsimister in response to AstroTinker's comment.

Hi, the object in frame 4 is in the same place but a hard one to see, you may need to enlarge a bit as it only extends out a fraction of what is we see in frame 1.
    thanks for having a look.

Posted

• AstroTinker by AstroTinker in response to djsimister's comment.

Ok, I see what you noticed. First, the 'head' of the streak in1 is overlapping the star, making it look like a hugh head. Next, the 'tail' looks blotchy because of the large grain of the noise, and is aggravated a bit more because of the distortion of the stars by the lens, which is known as 'coma'. In this case, the stars appear a bit flattened on the upper right, and even show some 'horns' at the edges of the flat. When the software tries to filter out the noise, it can make it worse in spots and faint lines.
    The two tiny spots in4 that look like echoes of the streak in1 I think are just two spots of noise.
    That said, I have noticed occasional 'shadowing' that looks like the ghost of an earlier streak or star... weird things happen when you mix photons with electrons... d;D Good news, your eyes aren't going any faster than mine, yet !!

Posted

• djsimister by djsimister in response to AstroTinker's comment.

Really cool and appreciated explanation on this object, All of which Has made me a little wiser, more informed and educated and Very relieved about my eyesight. :~}
    Thanks a lot (X2) for all this.

Dean

Posted