Asteroid Zoo Talk

Image registration and change blindness

• weegreenblobbie by weegreenblobbie

I have already spent over an hour hunting for asteroid and am wondering why the images are aligned prior to me looking at them. A few seconds of processing time to align the image will greatly reduce the stress on the human hunters.

I also find that the default playback speed is just too slow. This is causing attentional blindness for me. It's so slow that I don't notice anything changing between frames. I have resorted to using my mouse and sliding it back and forth very rapidly to get an animated movies that plays back-n-forth quickly. This makes the asteroids pop out and reduces the noise.

Please do the following:

1. align the images (image registration)
    2. add a playback speed option
    3. have the playback go from 1,2,3,4,3,2,1,2,3,4,3,2,1, ect.

Have it jump back to 1 from 4 introduces jarring artifacts that will reduce the changes of detecting objects. If the playback never skips a frame, then the motions should always be smoother.

Thanks for reading.

Posted

• nicro46 by nicro46

By participating in the project until the first day (I'm coming to 25,000 images seen), I can assure you that no change will be considered. To quickly drag your mouse is a very good system, I add you to zoom up to the screen and use the 'Invert option in the Tools column. To be perfectly honest, I have to tell you not to expect quick results or awards, I'm waiting for them from the first day (I always hope still to be proved wrong)

Posted