Asteroid Zoo Talk

My first asteriod ?

• BartJSimpson by BartJSimpson

Hi,
    yesterday I started to search in Asteriod Zoo for asteriods.

Can someone please tell me if I've spotted a asteriod here?

Dirk

P.S.:
    What is roughly the average number of picture sequences to find a new asteriod here?

Posted

• BartJSimpson by BartJSimpson

Oh, I thought my markings would be visible here, too. The asteriod which I've seen is near the right bottom of the images and moving to the edge.

Posted

• MvGulik by MvGulik

The chance of finding a new and still unknown asteroid on asteroid zoo ... is probably really low. But there are no exact figures known on that. As so far there has been no official new asteroid find.

Looking at this AZ (Asteroid Zoo) image set. I don't think there is an asteroid in the bottom-right section. What you marked was probably just some atmosphere related interference (this image-set has a lot of that). But on the other hand, because of the atmosphere related interference its hard to be 100% sure on this. So ... you still might have.

Just don't get your hopes up when marking unsure cases like these. The atmosphere related interference also makes it very improbably that anything other than a clear asteroid path is going to result in a positive find, even if its related to a new and unknown asteroid..

Posted